//
you're reading...
Cultural Diplomacy and Human Rights, Human Rights

Initiative for access to culture in Brazil

gg

(Brazilian minister of culture, Marta Suplicy, explaining the program)

By Caio Bertazzoli, Institute for Cultural Diplomacy.

 

The Brazilian Minister of Culture Marta Suplicy has announced that, as of August, companies will be able to offer workers a new ‘culture voucher’.
The culture stipend is a benefit that can be offered to any worker who earns up to five times the minimum wage (around R$3390 or €1280). The program has the goal of assuring access to cultural activities and products, stimulating creative industries and forming citizens who can appreciate and consume culture. The worker will receive a magnetic debit card credited with R$50 (€19) per month to spend on shows, theaters visits, movies, books and other cultural products.
Employers who participate in the program can deduct 90% of the cost of the voucher from their annual income tax, and the other 10% is withdrawn from the worker’s salary. Both the employer and the employee can choose if they want to participate in the program. There are options for workers who receive more than five times the minimum wage and want to benefit from the initiative, but the percentage that can be deducted from the annual income tax becomes increasingly lower.
It is calculated that around eighteen million Brazilians could benefit from the program, which would represent an R$11.3 billion increase on the cultural market. Such a huge boost in demand for cultural goods and services is fundamental in the consolidation of the proper functioning of the cultural industry as a whole. The amount may seem relatively small for each individual, but the large-scale impact is very significant.
As a country with an immense variety of cultural goods and traditions, Brazil has much to offer to its people and to other nations. Developing a solid internal cultural market is a fundamental step towards the implementation of this valuable commodity as an international relations tool.

Article also published here

Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies Publication
Institute for Cultural Diplomacy
www.ccds-berlin.de
www.culturaldiplomacy.org

Advertisements

About icdblogsphereteam

We are the Blogsphere Team of the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy. We are the interactive part of the web resources of ICD. We spread culture and mutual understanding among cultures through blogs.

Discussion

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

The London Art as Cultural Diplomacy Conference

“Contemporary International Dialogue: Art-based Developments and Culture Shared between Nations”August 21st, 2013

ICD Twitter

ICD Flickr

%d bloggers like this: